This is my contribution to St. Pat’s Day. I am not sure whether my pie is sufficient green or even sufficient irish. I’m only sure about the Guinness. English is not my mother tongue, however, I’ll try it on a very simple recipe. We always have the necessary ingredients (including the Guinness) available at home, so the pie is prepared in very short time. Kind regards, Robert, Basle on the Rhein (Switzerland). Das Rezept ist so einfach, dass ich es nicht auf deutsch zurückübersetzen werde.
3 bottles of Guinness red ale
225g/8oz ready-made short-crust pastry or prepared according to your own recipe
100 g green ham (cooked, not smoked ham, swiss-german: Kochschinken) in thin slices (1 mm)
250g/2 cups frozen green peas
1/4 l cream (25% fat)
salt and freshly ground nutmeg and black pepper
2 eggs (62g)
50 g parmesan cheese, freshly ground
2 tbsp cornflour (Maizena)
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
flour, for dusting
egg-yolk, for coating pastry border
(1) Preheat the oven to 220°C.
(2) Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface and cut pastry to fit over a round pie plate (24cm diameter).
(3) Line pastry round into pie plate. Prickle bottom with a fork.
(4) Spread grounded cheese on the bottom of the pie.
(5) Lay out the bottom of the pie with the ham, cutted in pieces of about 2×2 cm.
(6) Add the frozen peas into the pie.
(7) Stir the Cornflour into 1 tbsp of water until homogeneous, add the eggs and continue beating, add cream, parsley, season with salt and freshly ground nutmeg and black pepper. Dump the mixture in the pea pie.
(8) Brush border of the pie with little egg-yolk.
(9) Transfer to the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, bottom rack.
(10) Allow the pie to settle for about 5 mins before slicing. Serves 8 persons as a starter.
asking for the Guinness beer mentioned in the ingredients? funny question ! 1 before, 1 during, 1 after cooking.
4 Kommentare zu „Green Pea, Ham and Guinness Pie“
Ist doch schön grün! Danke für’s Mitmachen.
Thanks you for posting this recipe. The pie looks really delicious and I am definately going to be making it in the future here.
Die Kommentarfunktion ist geschlossen.